Home > About Us > Department of Sundarban Affairs > More about Department of Sundarban Affairs
Department of Sundarban Affairs
In terms of Rules of Business framed under Article 166(3) of the constitution of India, the Department of Sundarban Affairs is to perform the following function of the Government.
- Promotion of Social Economic and Cultural advancement of people residing in the Sundarban areas of the districts of North 24 Pgs. and South 24 Pgs. and financing, regulation and inspection of bodies established for the purpose.
- All matters in connection with or in relation to the constitution and functioning of the Sundarban Development Board.
- Co-ordination of development Schemes and projects in the Sundarban areas of the districts of North 24 Pgs. and South 24 Pgs.
- All matters connected with infrastructural facilities through improvement of rural communication, water sources, preservation of ecological balance, socio-economic and allied development programmes, research training and technology in the Sundarban area of the districts of North 24 Pgs. and South 24 Pgs.
Master Plan for accelerated and integrated development of the Sundarban areas of the districts of North 24 Pgs. and South 24 Pgs.
The Minister-in-Charge of the Department of Sundarban Affairs works through a Secretariat headed by Secretary. The functions of the Department of Sundarban Affairs are performed through the Sundarban Development Board which, in fact, functions like a Directorate under the administrative control of this department. There is also a constituted body "Sundarban Development Board" for the purpose steering the functions of the Office of the Sundarban Development Board.
Subject to the overall control of the Minister-in-Charge of this department, the department functions under the administrative direction and guidance of the Secretary. Since creation in the year 1994, this department has been engaged in the implementation of various developmental schemes to upgrade the socio- economic conditions of the inhabitants of Sundarban Region (Comprising of 19 Blocks of North South 24 Parganas Districts).
This Department implements mostly the following schemes every year through Sundarban Development Board :-
a) Development of Communication Infrastructure:
- Construction of Bridges
- Construction of Jetties
- Construction of Culverts
- Various types of Roads etc
b) Agricultural Activities:
- Distribution of Fruit Plants
- Sunflower Cultivation
- Rabi Seasons Agricultural Programme
- Distribution of Paddy Seeds
- Distribution of Coconut Plants
- Extension of Mushroom Cultivation etc.
c) Social Forestry Programme :
- Creation of Mangrove Plantation
- Creation of Nursery etc.